[Trilinos-Users] Trilinos Update December 2005

James Willenbring jmwille at sandia.gov
Thu Dec 1 07:11:26 MST 2005

All,

The latest release of Trilinos has generated a lot of excitement and a lot
of good questions.  We would like to share some of the most frequently asked
questions with all of you.  There are questions in here that have been posed
both by new and experienced users.  We encourage all of you to briefly scan
the short list of questions.

Please also note that the link to the most recent minor release of Trilinos
is always on the Trilinos Home Page: http://software.sandia.gov/trilinos/.
There are also links to the release notes for Trilinos 6.0 and the change
log for the minor releases associated with release 6.0.

The current minor release of Trilinos is 6.0.8.

Recent FAQ's

Q: I am a new Trilinos user.  How can I get started with using Trilinos?

A: Visit the following webpage:
http://software.sandia.gov/trilinos/getting_started.html

Q: Configure takes a really long time!  Can't you make it go faster?

A: Try adding "--cache-file=config.cache" to the list of options you pass to
configure.  This will allow the 2nd-n th packages to reuse configure values
used by the first package.  Make sure to delete the config.cache file that
is created before configuring again.  Many users simply add "rm -f
config.cache" to the end of their invoke-configure file.

Q: After recently trying to upgrade Trilinos, I get a bunch of undefined
symbols when linking OR The link line for some Trilinos executables scrolls
for several screen lengths.  What is wrong?

A: Try adding "--with-gnumake" to the list of options you pass to configure
and make sure you are using GNU make.

Q: How can I fix the following error?

/util/sfw/include/mpicxx.h:26:2: #error "SEEK_SET is #defined but must not
be
for the C++ binding of MPI"
/util/sfw/include/mpicxx.h:30:2: #error "SEEK_CUR is #defined but must not
be
for the C++ binding of MPI"
/util/sfw/include/mpicxx.h:35:2: #error "SEEK_END is #defined but must not
be
for the C++ binding of MPI"

A: Try adding "CPPFLAGS=-DMPICH_IGNORE_CXX_SEEK" to the list of options you
pass to configure.

The full list of Trilinos FAQ's can be viewed at:
http://software.sandia.gov/trilinos/faq.html

Thank you all for your interest in Trilinos

Jim Willenbring

Mike Phenow