[Trilinos-Users] kudos, and a problem

Randall Bramley bramley@cs.indiana.edu
Wed, 5 Nov 2003 13:22:19 -0500 (EST)

I've just downloaded Trilinos and looked over the documentation.
This is really good design work, and you seem to have hit the
right combination of high-level OO interfaces, and lower level
more procedural-like ones for us hairy-knuckled, crufty old
apps types.  This is about what I'd expect from such a great team,
but I'm still impressed.

I'm having the same trouble that an earlier user, Tony Hammond,
reported earlier this year.  After running the configuration
script, I get an extra double quote and -L\ in the Fortran 77
lines.  My set up is similar to his: using Intel Fortran (but
version 7.1, the latest), RH Linux 8.0 with all the updates, and
MPICH built on top of the Intel compilers.

For right now I've just written a Perl script that goes through
and edits all the makefiles to delete the extra symbols (Perl: the
vice-grips of the configuration toolbox).  And the make/install
seems to have gone through.  I'll be testing it next, but wanted
to see if anyone has tracked down further the config problem since
Tony Hammond originally posted it back in February.   If my hack
works, I'll post the Perl script for others to use ....

But this is a minor issue, the package design looks really great.  Now
to see if it works!

-Randy Bramley
 Indiana University